Back To “Normal”

I love wordpress.org. And I love my new web host. And I’m sure I’ll love the new design when that’s up. But most of all, I love getting back to normal blogging and running! But then again, what’s normal around here?

Sprouting Almonds

Sprouting Almonds

I have my first batch of almonds sprouting. Will I know when they’ve “sprouted”? I guess if a tree appears in my kitchen, yes, yes I will.

Baking Potatoes

Baking Potatoes

And I had potatoes cleaned and shoved in the oven before I sat down to breakfast. Yep, that’s normal around here. Of course, normal means desserts…

Brownie With Fudge And Walnuts

Brownie With Fudge And Walnuts

These brownies came out great. They’re a little dry, but that’s just because they aren’t saturated in fats; if I were bringing them to a party, I’d probably stick an extra 1/2 cup of butter in there ;-) And I topped it with some melted vegan chocolate as the “glue” to hold walnuts. Got to get those omega-3′s in!

Vanilla Chobani With Vanilla Peanut Butter

Vanilla Chobani With Vanilla Peanut Butter

And this took some master flavor-pairing to work up: Vanilla Chobani with vanilla peanut butter. Honestly, I used to loove the Vanilla Chobani but now that I’ve cut back on stevia it’s too sweet! I’d rather have plain. Funky.

Breakfast

Breakfast

Why hadn’t I thought of putting “just” chocolate on oatmeal before? Or why, in all my years of melting chocolate, has nobody suggested over oatmeal instead of the microwave or a double boiler? ;-) You can bet this plate was licked clean. And it didn’t taste all too sweet, probably because I buy really dark chocolate.

Banana-Honey Jam Yogurt

Banana-Honey Jam Yogurt

Literally, all the jam was was a chunk of banana and some raw local honey mushed together and it was fantastic. Almost like my favorite banana pineapple rum jam, which I’ve been out of for a month now. The yogurt will catch my tears.

What’s “Normal” for you that’s not so for the “traditional” way of things? Sometimes I forget that most families haven’t been bringing their children to Indian casinos since they were 2 when people tell me they’ve never been to Foxwoods.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Back To “Normal””

1. ari 03. Jun, 2010 at 9:57 am #

my parents got divorced like, 14 years ago, but every time we take a trip for vacation, we take it as a family. people think it’s weird that my parents travel together, but it’s really all i’ve ever known!
    and that brownie looks divine.

2. Kristina @goodnweird 03. Jun, 2010 at 10:25 am #

That jam looks delicious. Well that question is the whole concept of my blog. Most people look at healthy living as an odd way of life.

3. Denise (the apple hill adventurer) 03. Jun, 2010 at 11:05 am #

ooohhh man doess that banana honey yogurt look ever so fine. I had the most bland bowl of oatbran this morning … I will look onto your food with great admiration SIGH

4. Jessica @ How Sweet 03. Jun, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

Almonds sprout? I have never even heard of that. Do they grow? I’m so confused. Clearly I am clueless.

5. Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine 03. Jun, 2010 at 12:06 pm #

I grew up speaking French to my mom and English to my dad, so people think it’s super weird when I just switch between the two depending on who I’m talking to, even if they’re both in the room. They both understand both languages, but it’s a habit I guess! Love the chocolate oatmeal…you’ve got me craving some dark stuff now!!

6. Matt 03. Jun, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

Wow that oatmeal looks heavenly ;)

7. Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter 03. Jun, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

People think its weird how my exboyfriend is still my best friend. We love to just hang out and chill with each other, just with out the “benefits” of actually dating.

8. Elizabeth 03. Jun, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

I have a Chobani vanilla yogurt sitting in the fridge. You talk about Chobani so much, I had to try some. I’m waiting for the right moment ;) And I’m going to top it off with peanut butter! Mmm… and what are the sprouted almonds for? I soaked some cashews overnight the other day for a chocolate nut pie. Gave it a nice, thick, creamy texture!

9. Madeline - Greens and Jeans 03. Jun, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

My brother and I speak Swedish to each other when we don’t want other people to know what we are saying. This made more sense when we were little, but we still do it out of habit even though I’m 25 and he’s almost 23!

10. Ilana 03. Jun, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

I forget that not everyone’s family is divorced and remarried – explaining my “one brother, one half brother, five stepsiblings” family is always a hoot because it’s pretty much normal to me.

11. Naomi(onefitfoodie) 03. Jun, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

hmm who knew almonds could sprout! what do you do with thema fter they have sprouted?

chooclate on oatmeal GENIOUS I see it is starting to melt and become deeeeeelicious!!

my dad is from isreal and I call him “aba” which is dad in hebrew…I have never once in my life called my dad “DAD” only “ab” or “aba” so for me and my brother, this is totally normal!

12. runnerforever 03. Jun, 2010 at 1:43 pm #

Working out twice a day most people consider crazy and I consider about as normal as brushing my teeth twice a day.
    I am glad you got around to trying chocolate on your oats, I was so incredibly pleased when I first tried it. Now you gotta try PB & chocolate oats!

13. Robin 03. Jun, 2010 at 1:44 pm #

I’ve been to Foxwoods! :)
    Normal for me (probably for you too) is eating peanut butter, salsa, bruschetta (I’ve only ever bought it from TJ a few times – easy enough to make), etc. out of the jar. I used to eat frosting out of the jar till I realized that the kind in jars has disgusting stuff in it! :p

14. Claire @ College:Raw 03. Jun, 2010 at 5:12 pm #

This post made me laugh… ;-)

You remind me how much I miss peanut butter here…

Um…I can’t think of anything unusual at the moment, although I KNOW there are unusual things, haha.

15. Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly 03. Jun, 2010 at 6:18 pm #

Logging 90-120 minute daily workouts is totally normal to me! haha!

16. Danielle (Runs on Green) 03. Jun, 2010 at 6:51 pm #

I like the new layout!

I love the hunk of chocolate on the oatmeal :) It’s the same as flavored pb, right??